Sellery’s Buy Box Optimizer Feature
Sellery is, first and foremost, an Amazon repricing tool with endless flexibility, options, and power.
While our users love to dig into Sellery and dial in very specific and complex pricing strategies, there are still many sellers out there who have a need for a more "out of the box" repricing strategy that they can plug and play to get repricing quickly but still see great results.
To this end, we've developed an automatic algorithm to optimize your price for the Buy Box.
Its main goal is to automatically assist Amazon sellers in winning and/or sharing the Buy Box as often as possible and increasing profits while in the Buy Box.
How does the Buy Box Optimizer Work?
The Optimizer has three strategies:
- Raise your price, if you have the Buy Box, to get you the best (highest) price, while keeping the Buy Box. If you have the Buy Box, the price is raised by 3% repeatedly, until the Buy Box is lost. ("Raising")
- Lower your price until you get the Buy Box. When the Buy Box is lost, the price is lowered by 0.3% repeatedly until the Buy Box is won again. ("Lowering")
- Try to get a share of the Buy Box when other sellers are actively competing for it, and start to turn more aggressive if sharing doesn't work. ("Sharing")
The Optimizer will attempt to match the Buy Box price or match / overcut the competition if you are not Buy Box eligible.
If your item isn’t listed, it will overcut the competition, the Optimizer will overcut the Buy Box price, match the competition or, if there is no competition at all, price your items based on the limits you’ve set for them.
Requirements for the Buy Box Optimizer to take action:
There are still some requirements that must be met for the optimizer to operate on an item, although we're working towards eliminating them. If these aren't met, your defined strategy from the pricing rule will be used. The requirements are:
- There must be competition, unless the item is not listed – your competitors don’t have to be Buy Box eligible in order to be taken into account.
- For new condition books, the account must be on Amazon.com - third party sellers can't yet get the new Buy Box for books on other venues. (Amazon.ca will probably allow this soon as well.)
Note that "changing competitor prices" also counts competitor listings disappearing or new ones appearing.
Depending on when competitor prices have last changed, the Optimizer will apply different strategies. If competitor prices have changed in the last 24 hours, we’ll move to the "Sharing" strategy and attempt to either win or share the Buy Box. If competitor prices have not changed recently, we’ll move to the "Raising" or "Lowering" strategies and attempt to maximize your revenue while still maintaining the Buy Box.
Where can I enable/turn on the Optimizer in Sellery:
To use the Buy Box Optimizer, simply create a new rule under Settings > Pricing Rules by clicking New above the rules list to the left, entering a name for it and then selecting "Automatic" when asked for the rule type:
Once that’s done, simply apply this rule to your Smart Lists like you would any other rule, under Settings > Pricing Overview. For more information on applying Pricing Rules to Smart Lists, check out our documentation here.
That’s it, the Buy Box Optimizer is up and running!
Seeing the Buy Box Optimizer in action
You will be notified of the state of the Optimizer in the Pricing Log of any item that has been repriced by it. Depending on the strategy applied, you’ll see one of the messages described below.
For the static competition strategies:
- Raising: "Adjusting your price up to the best price"
- Lowering to Rewin: "Adjusting your price down to get the Buy Box back"
- Holding: "Price adjustments are on hold since you now have the best price"
- Paused: "The process of winning the Buy Box will resume in <time>"
For the dynamic competition strategy:
- Trying to Share: "Adjusting your price to get a share of the Buy Box"
- Sharing: "Sharing the Buy Box"
- Trying to Win: "Trying to win the Buy Box from competition"
- Winning: "Winning the Buy Box with competition"